Labor & Demographics
Businesses in Botetourt County enjoy favorable labor conditions and a stable social environment.
Community Data Summary rev Jan 09
Labor market of 350,000 workers
- 21.3% of County workers are in education, health and social services
- 13% work in manufacturing
- Lower labor costs
- Less than 3% union presence
- Well educated workforce
- Over 89% of County residents have high school or higher education
- 23% have Bachelors degree or higher education
- Low divorce rate of 7.9%
- High home ownership rate of 87%
- Nearly fourteen percent (13.5%) of County residents are U.S. veterans
- Low business costs - Moody's estimates cost of doing business 15% lower than national average.
- Low cost of living - Cost of living averages 5-6% lower than the national average.
There are a number of excellent resources which provide details on Botetourt County demographics - population, income levels, age statistics and more. Here are some popular links:
- Botetourt Quick Facts from the US Census Bureau
- County Profile from the Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP)
- Community Profile from the Virginia Employment Commission